Why I had liked FYUP?







Personal it is, yet there is love for the curriculum that was once in our course. Yes, it brought a smile to my face, whenever I thought about the course. When I was not getting to study only a specialized course but along with it, I was getting a chance to study those subjects which would directly or indirectly push my creative tendencies. How long and how far can you go in this real world with only knowledge of one subject? Well, yes; only studying literature, could you think about making things better for the farmers who were being cheated upon by the ruthless landlords?

When I thought of casting my support for FYUP, I had thought of those various classes by my Hindi teacher, Mr.Upendran; who made me think beyond those bars, which I wouldn't have crossed otherwise studying English. Our course, where we were studying language, of the Shakespearean times and Renaissance. I was glad, as I had come to study that. But, studying my course only gave me an insight of the world of the bygone era and centuries; what about today? Citing an example now; that to study about today, we were assigned a book named Bhimayana, on the experiences of untouchability; the experiences of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar. Our professor did give us an insight into the real world yet again, by showing us videos on untouchability and how it felt to be an untouchable. That moved me beyond anything. Still, they said; FYUP was a waste of time. I wonder, why!

Being English students, a change to study Hindi, a chance to learn about Information technology, about the Big Bang Theory, what wrong was in it? We were given a chance, to choose the right road for ourselves. But, then the teachers didn't like it? Maybe, because their teaching hours had increased; and they weren't liking it. Our P.M. , Mr. Narendra Modi, talks about Skill Development to play an important role for India, but when skill is imparted; the whole lot of criticism follows and wins the race. The race, unfortunately only deters the very thought of skill development.

You came to study literature. Nice. But, when you got to learn of your present world, that is not done. Isn't it? About, how many new professions you can opt for. I think, in India, only the thing which moves people is to get a good placement. But, what about doing something different. Yes, differences are what one can't expect from anyone, in this society, where power wins over the dreams. Also, FYUP enhanced the presentation skills of a student by giving them a platform to express themselves and their thoughts, viewpoints; to share their knowledge and gain confidence in this manner. These positive points were not given enough attention, at the time; it was brought to a dismissal.

When someone raises one's voice then others only complain like this, “he has lost his mind". When the teachers are against you, your own classmates are against you. But, there are few people who are with you; and they can't support you, because they know, they have no say in the system. What happens later is that they feel, they could have raised their voices. Now, the time that has gone; won't come back for them, to stand against it, because the decisions have already been made on their behalf.

In DU, not all students get a course of their choice. FYUP gave them a chance, to know their creative tendencies better and not just stick to a given novel, to ascertain that they were learned men or women. FYUP, in itself was a creative process, which wasn't given importance; once it came.

Just after a week after the new session kick started last year, there was a poll done by AISA, another such student union, which showed that 91 percent students had disliked FYUP. On what basis? Or, was the survey that was done, gave correct answers? The students who disliked FYUP, said so; because they had to study for another year. This they couldn't digest. They had always loved to remain and study under bars, being bound. In school, what was in the textbook, they had to score 100 marks in that. No one, thought that, how to make a better India. Only, if the marks could assure, good health facilities or education to the poor people. 65 percent of India is poor(who earn less than US $2 a day), I have read.

Through information technology, I had learnt about the situation of farmers in villages and how digital platform could make things better for them. All these memories came back to me this morning, as the PM talked about them. I had studied them, my class had studied it.

When my dad asked why the foreigners who had headphones to listen to PM this morning, and how the translation was possible so quickly. I could make him understand how it happened, because I had learnt about it in my translation course(foundation course) in my first year in DU.

What I feel sorry about, is that; those people who stood against FYUP, mostly the political parties, those people weren't even DU students. How they behave during elections, this can just explain; how desperate they are for power, or how much concerned they are for DU. Or, do they ever attend the classes to know what FYUP really is, if they are students? Almost all the students against FYUP, were second or third year students; who had no idea of FYUP. They hadn't experienced that.

One of my English(H), senior told me that he had attended three classes of FC's, sitting with juniors and they found it to be full of flaws. So, they were sure; it was a waste and useless. Who are they to decide what is good for us? When they haven't gone through the one year journey that we have been to. They join political parties and call it exposure. Damnit, their exposure!

Then, people said that as their were no hostel facilities available in all DU colleges, they had to spend a lot of money; for that additional one year. Now, brother; if you have to save your money for that additional one year, does it say that you have to change the whole system that is in place? You came to study, and if the course has been increased by one year; does it mean that any disaster has come over to your confines? I find this very annoying.

I can say in the last that, “don't study the textbooks only, study the people, the world because reality is what matters. Use your dreams and imaginations in the right way. Right way is to look at life as a whole and not based on a three year or four year undergraduate degree. Don't just live for yourself, to do masters, or M.Phil and get a great job. Do it all today, what you want to do tomorrow. And don't be selfish, define your being different from the rest.”

Views are all personal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a dream that was, and that ended.

Definitions of love~

Nobody's worth living for..! Ending. (Written by Kasak)