On faces and disposition. 2.)

Eyes of this little girl, who came to our house years back, when she came from her village, with her family. They were looking for work, whence they came. Few days later the mother worked as a maid in a household, whereas the father as a laborer, at the construction site. One day, her mother visited our place, and asked for work; this time, not for herself but for her little girl.

My mother was surprised to see this little girl, holding her mother's fingers; when her mother took her along to different houses in the locality, finding work for her daughter. My mother asked her to stay at our house, and found the gleaming eyes of the little girls' mother greet her yet again, in thanksgiving for my mother's agreement to employ her, and yes; that meant money at the end of every month to the lady, for her daughter's efforts. While, the girl went on to hide her face, moving behind her mother. She was scared, all I could see on her face and her disposition.

That was a day, I found to my surprise and jealousy, that how could a girl even shorter than me in height, and even younger to me, be able to earn applaud of my parents and I was not doing any hard work, than playing cricket in the park the whole day. That was the first time, I wondered how girls had to learn to work in kitchen, and not boys. I disliked this thought, and took a pledge in my heart of hearts, to learn how to handle the kitchen. I had been cleaning the dust laden tables, and windows on daily basis; but how could I match the girl's willpower? Although, I had found her to be little, fragile or maybe weak; but why was I fearful of her, I wondered why!

The next day, I had forgotten the face of the girl, as I must have thought her coming in my dream. I returned home, after my exam; and moved in to switched on the light, in the main hall. Soon, my feet had hit something that seemed very heavy; as I felt it hard hitting me, because I had carelessly moved my feet against it, hence the collision. The hurt was soon forgotten, when the frightened self of mine resisted the sight of the unknown. I had thought, there to be a cat, when I shouted at the top of my voice. As if I had hit, a cat that was quite big; and that thing also shouted back. Oh, thing, what? Was it cat or what! Shit.. What was it, that hit my feet then and it shouted back. Was it a cat? I hadn't even put the light on. Now, this was scary. In no time, I ran in; towards my mother's room and found the hall lightened. There was a girl smiling, and I went back and saw the same little girl, smiling yet amused of my innocence.

I was a bit taken aback as soon as I found that, I hadn't witnessed a dream but it was reality, and only a day back that I had caught her first sight. What had hit me was a tub full of water and she was cleaning the floor. I was amazed, and I didn't like her doing those little works, which the other woman came to do few days back. In the following week, my mother got her name enrolled in the nearby Government School. She would go to school in the morning and come to our home in the afternoon. Now, she didn't clean the floor but she helped my mother in kitchen, when she would prepare food. Often she would also clean the tables and do somewhat dusting, but her face was always smiling. With that gleam, that I had only earlier seen in her mother's eyes. I would along with my mother teach her, and help her complete her homework and in the evening she would return back to the place where she lived with her family. I never had a sister, but this time; I felt so happy to find  her taking care of my grandmother and mother, and keeping them entertained and happy all the time. She gelled so well with me too.

An year passed by, and then one day she didn't turn up for work. Once she expressed that she had dreamt of becoming someone educated, that she wanted to make her name in this world.  But, that day went that I didn't see her thereafter. I heard that her mother found a lady who was ready to give double the money my mother paid her, for the work she did at our home. So, her mother made her leave the school, and her dreams likewise.

It was today after nearly ten years that I saw her. She must be around seventeen years by now. She came to our home, while I was talking to the plumber, who was doing some maintenance work at home. I was surprised to see her eyes, she was sorry. Much to my surprise, she held a baby in her arms, whom she called hers. A little baby with soft features, her eyes in his eyes and I was all silenced. My eyes welled up with tears, I had never been like this. She said, "She had wanted to study, and that she wouldn't let the same happen to her child's life."

Closure.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

a dream that was, and that ended.

Definitions of love~

Love is togetherness.