Madrigal' 15 DSC

It was that night, when I returned back home from the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF). After carrying a journey from Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Pushkar-Delhi, I had lead one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was happy, I was composed. The beauty, the grace, the affection and the spontaneity of all these places I visited, had given me strength and belief that yes, I could make it big one day to the stars. That someday, I will reach my dream and have my own identity as a writer and as a person who has seen life. I was so curious to understand life, every next moment, I had wanted to stand strong and not lose myself to the world, but to contain myself and be a power, a force, bringing love and joy through my actions and not hurting people. Even if I would hurt them, I would make for that hurtfulness, I would either learn life, I would accept my being rude or just that, I would mean what I did in my act of rudeness. Everyone has his/her experiences to teach self, I was going to have my own journey through that.

Then, things changed. I came back to Delhi and from the very next day I made sure I was attending all the classes in my college because I had taken college off for almost a week before, as I had been travelling. I was in Delhi on the 27th of January by night and the next day I left for college, to make sure I did not miss any class. It was Wednesday, the 28th January and my professor was going to teach Romantics (Poems by William Wordsworth and other poets). Our professor, Mrs.Shayista Khan asked me the reason for my absence from the college. We had a brief discussion regarding the JLF, and she wasn't angry with me; least of what I had expected. I had been ready for the scolding but she talked of a topic which was, 'Democracy and Secularism'. She asked me to write an article for the college magazine, 'New-Star' and I smiled at this thought. Moving from this topic, she started the lecture on similar lines. The course book was not opened yet, so we discussed about the college festivals and instrumentally, we started talking about the English festivals. I asked her questions, regarding why our Department of English wasn't going to have its Annual English Festival this year? We agreed on one thought as she suggested it to me, 'Why don't you people work for it? Make it happen.' , she had said.

From that day onwards, I greeted my friends and took this idea forward. We classmates interacted with the possibility of the first English festival that we would witness in our department in our almost two years in college. It was thought provoking an idea it could be. The same day, I had an opportunity to talk to the teacher in charge of festivals in our department, Mr.Anshuman Singh. He was very cooperative, and it gave me wings and I tried to gather people together who were willing to work and make this event happen. Having rounds of interactions with our juniors, who were very much interested and excited about this idea, to finding my seniors in college who were busy preparing for their entrance examinations for admissions into postgraduate courses after their graduation was complete. They are 2-3 months away from their graduation, and when these 2-3 months are to come; it means, my final year in the college starts.

With our seniors, we didn't have good coordination but that very day I started looking for them. I met two girls from the third year, who asked me, when they were getting their farewell. I asked if, they wanted a farewell, and the girls were surprised as much as I was embarrassed of myself asking them such a question. There had been a tiff between few second year students with few third year students at the time of fresher's and this had led to the coldness between the two sides. We exchanged our contacts and I had asked her to talk to her classmates regarding the festival. She smiled and gave me a ray of hope. I reflected as my friend, Guneev had suggested me; "that not all people are rude, if few are then it's alight,  let them be." I respected her suggestion and I was happy, in the way the two girls who were my seniors, talked to me. Till then, it was almost the first week of February that had stepped in. I had good interactions with the juniors and Anshuman Sir,  who suggested us to have Elections, to make things go in an order and spontaneity. We agreed upon it and in the next week, we had our elections where I became the Vice-President of my Department.

Now, it's 2nd of March today and we are going to have our English Department Festival on the 12-13th March this year. The seniors have shown greater interest in the festival as much as we have and the juniors have. I will miss this bond between us, in a matter of few days and let me quote Guneev again. That, "if we have led bad experiences once; this doesn't mean that there is no room for goodness to strike. It means, there is enough room for happy times to come." I am happy to see my department together once again, and we are working for the English Festival with zeal and enthusiasm. Our seniors are participating, even after having assignments to submit, presentations to give and entrance exams to clear.

College life has started molding me with the different situations, and I am happy that I am growing, and taking on to the challenges(this time together with my department), and I believe this is all that matters in the long run. Experiences of college, written in bold characters in the manuscript of life.

I will write again, regarding how we come up with our English Festival. Enjoy, and if you're a Delhite then please come to my college on 12-13th March 2015 at 10am. The event shall go up till 3pm, all of you are invited if you're a student. Thank you! :)

Gagandeep Singh Vaid
Dyal Singh College, Lodhi Road
New Delhi- 110003

Follow us on Facebook, at www.facebook.com/madrigal2015
Madrigal' 15 is the name of our festival.

Comments

  1. oh yes! Madrigal will be a great success
    we will make it the best ever.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

a dream that was, and that ended.

Definitions of love~

Nobody's worth living for..! Ending. (Written by Kasak)